We are a not for profit organisation working with swimming clubs to establish a summer season of open sea races in a variety of locations along the Leinster. We cater for all ages and abilities from teenagers to senior citizens and from novice swimmers to former internationals.
If you are new to Leinster Open Sea swimming, please see our information for first time swimmers. Swim races are held every weekend with an average distance of 1 mile. For swim locations and start times see our race calendar.
There are five annual major swims:
• The 88th Island Swim (Ireland’s Eye to Howth) Saturday 7th July Island Race;
• 88th Dún Laoghaire Harbour Race Sunday 5th August Dún Laoghaire Harbour Race;
• Lough Dan Races 18th August Lough Dan Races ;
• Jones Engineering 99th Dublin City Liffey Swim Saturday 1st September Dublin City Liffey Swim;
• Wicklow 3k for RNLI 9th September .
For background information and the history of these swims, click the links above. For up-to-date race information, including race dates, entry fees, closing dates and how to register, click here.
We will be opening online entry forms for these on the fit live website.
So if you like a challenge, keeping fit and enjoy meeting people of all levels of swimming ability – we’d love to have you join us on one of our many sea swims during the summer months.
Leinster Open Sea have published the Leinster Open Sea Races Calendar 2018 with over thirty races.
In order to compete in the Leinster Open Sea Races Swimmers must be:
• be a registered member of a Swim Ireland swimming club (not special member);
• Read the 2018 Rules and Swimmers’ Declaration;
• Register with https://www.howdidyouswim.com/register3.php;
• Have received a Race Number; and
• Not wear a Wetsuit (save in the case of medical reasons).
Swimmers in the men’s or ladies’ races do not have to pre register except for the 5 big races:
Online entry forms will be opening on the fit live website.
The men’s and ladies’ race will:
• count as qualifiers for the 88th Dún Laoghaire Harbour Race or the Jones Engineering 99th Dublin City Liffey Swim;
• Receive points for swimmer of the year and club of the year;
• Clubs will present prizes 1 to 6, team, Masters, Vets, Fastest time etc.;
• Handicapped with the slowest swimmers starting first etc.
Swimmer under 18 year of year must also have a signed parental consent form:
Parental Consent Form
Leinster Open Sea and the host swimming clubs would like to remind all swimmers that we will:
• close race registration ½ an hour before each respective race (Men’s, Ladies’ or Wetsuits);
• enforce cut off times (usually 45 to 50 minutes).
For the latest updates, follow us on social media:
For any other inquiries, use our contact form.
Leinster Open Sea